After reading Parker's article and carefully analyzing it, I have found that she has a makes valid point and provides substantial support behind her reasoning. She continues to argue that more people should be able to find their views in the middle rather than to the far left or to the far right. I can understand what she is saying and can even find myself agreeing with her. I think that it would be beneficial if people were more open minded and willing to really think about an issue rather than just agree with their political party. Also if more people were moderate I think that the political candidates would be forced to work harder rather than just rely on the fact that certain states tend to always lean towards their party or on the contrary not work as hard in states that tend to lean the other way.
However, I also find myself questioning whether or not it is plausible for Americans to become more moderate. For instance I know a lot of people who have very strong political opinions and I don't see how they could switch to a more moderate stance. I agree with many of her points but i also feel like there's nothing wrong with having strong opinions and sticking to them. To persuade people to become more moderate may take away from many values people have.
Elizabeth does a very good job on analyzing the work of Parker. I could tell that she thought very carefully about what she was going to say in response to the article. I liked how she incorporated her opionion but at the same time did not forget the point that Parker was trying to make in her article.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that after reading Parker's article she effectively showed the difference of being either on the far left or the far right side of an issue. I like that you included your own personal opinion in the text, and I also agree with your point about how political candidates would have to work harder if people were more moderate. It is true that states have a general republican or democratic trend, and the increase of independent states would definitely affect how hard politicians campaigned.
ReplyDeleteYou brought up a good point, it is good to have strong opinions on certain issues and to be moderate on some issues. I feel like that is the way everyone should look at politics. Most people vote for someone simply because they are Republican or Democrat, I think everyone could get much more involved in politics if they took the time to really think about their thoughts and feelings on the issues.
ReplyDelete