Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SWA #1 Best/Worst Writing Experience

My best writing experience occurred last year (my senior year) of high school. The reason this experience was so important to me is because the paper was part of our senior project and something I had been working on since the previous year. This senior project of course was this huge deal and highly despised by most students because of  the amount of work you were expected to put into it.  The paper we had to write was only part of the project, there was also a product we had to make and a speech we had to give. However, after I finished the paper I felt a sense of accomplishment. After researching my topic and working on the paper for so long, when I finally did complete my six page research paper (which at the time was the longest paper I had ever had to write), I felt very confident and accomplished. After working so diligently and putting some many hours into a paper it really was a great feeling and the whole experience seemed worth it.
At the same time I have also had bad writing experiences. For instance last semester in English 101 the essays we had to read and then write in response to, were often times very difficult to understand and sometimes I felt completely lost. For example the first writing assignment we were faced with I found myself completely lost and had no idea where to start or what the essay was about. I also, being new to the class didn't know what my teacher expected and that added to the experience being horrifying. Looking back now I would have talked to my teacher more about the topic and tried to understand better but at the time I took a blind leap and just tried my best. My grade didn't turn out too bad, especially since it was the first paper but the overall experience was probably the worst I have had in regards to writing. I have found with writing it is not much fun to write if you have no idea as to what you are saying and you just ramble on. However, at the same time if you put a lot of time and effort into a certain piece it leaves you feeling very accomplished

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that it is very satisfying to turn in a paper that you are confident about because you know how hard you have worked on it and probably know a lot about the subject at that point. I also agree that research papers are probably easier for me to write since there is so much information from outside sources you can use. I personally liked my last semester's writing but my teacher was very helpful about giving insight to our topics. But I can see where you are coming from and being new and getting adjusted to a new type of writing is always tough.

    ReplyDelete